Monday, July 6, 2015

A cameo appearance at Goodwill

On Saturday, my Aunt Jane and I went to Rome to visit some thrift stores and antique malls, and once again, the Rome Goodwill store brought me a whole lot of happy for the bargain price of $3.50 (including tax).

This small aqua blue ruffled bowl was just 77 cents. It looks and feels like vintage Pyrex to me, and it's not marked, but that's fine since I bought it for the color, not necessarily as an investment.

This china Christmas tree plate was 99 cents, and I'm always happy to find Christmas china pieces at any time of year. Some I keep, and some I give away, depending on how desperate I am around Dec. 20th or so each year when the baking marathon is under way.

As a longtime lover of cameos, though, I was most happy to find these two cameo design dinner plates and saucer for $1.51.

Curiously, one plate is marked and one isn't. The one that was marked has this Atlas China Co. backstamp, and I learned this pattern was made by Atlas China of Niles, Ohio from 1922-25, making this one of the older plates I own.

Isn't that a lovely image to find on a plate? I'm redecorating a bedroom, and I'm thinking of using one of these plates as a "jewelry tray" that's devoted to cameos. I even love the crackling. Are any of you fans of cameos? If so, have you ever seen them on plates before?

13 comments:

  1. I do like cameos and have not ever noticed them on china before. You find the most interesting pieces! And I love the ruffled Aqua bowl. Great finds, all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy hearing about you shopping trips. You have great thrift stores! I have never seen a cameo on a plate, it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a pretty hard-to-find-pattern nowadays, but was very popular. I think it's a charming pattern! Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear aunt - my father's only sister who was 21 years his senior (more like a grandma, and both my grandmothers had passed before I was born so that was awesome) gave me a pink and rose gold cameo ring when I was little - it was carved - and it's missing now. I don't know what I did with it and I am so mad at myself now for not keeping better care of this precious heirloom.

    Love your treasures - never saw Cameo on china before but I didn't even notice the Cameo for all those pretty shamrocks on it - they, of course- jumped right out and into my sight first thing. : - )

    Well done, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pieces! I purchased a cameo not too long ago and love it. Never seen them on china before, the search is on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love cameos too! We lived in England when I was a teenager and my father bought my mother a beautiful cameo ring and broach/necklace (it has a pin back as well as a ring on top to put a chain through). When I got married I wore the broach on my Victorian style wedding dress. Then years later, Mother gave me the ring and broach for my birthday. They are so delicate--such a treasure.

    And I have never seen a cameo on dishes either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I come shopping with you some day? Love your treasures....I too enjoy cameos. Let me know when you guest cameo room is ready for visitors! LOL.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful vfinds! I have never seen cameos on China before, very interesting . The aqua dish does look like pyrex!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen cameo plates, but do love vintage cameo brooches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My cameo collection of pins, earrings, and necklaces is quite extensive, but I've never seen this plate. Fun find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!