Friday, May 15, 2015

Finding tea at the coffee shop

During my years as a journalist, I had three women call up and say they wanted to meet me. All three became friends, genuine keep-in-touch, send-each-other-Christmas-cards kind of friends. I find that interesting. Yesterday, I got to catch up with one of them, Amy, at our longtime meeting place, Leaf and Bean (aka "the coffee shop") in downtown Newnan. I arrived hungry, and Amy was first to notice they had a muffin made with tea. I knew immediately that's what I would be ordering!

Oh, and what a pretty thing this muffin was, especially all warmed up and gooey! Actually, this was my second muffin since I killed the first one. I was standing in line balancing purse, my cup of Kyoto Cherry Rose Green Tea, and the muffin when I dropped it, splat, right on the floor. I'm sure the tall, statuesque blonde in the tennis outfit who was behind me in line thought it was God's way of telling me I should have ordered a cup of fat-free yogurt and a banana instead, but I'm no quitter. The clerk told me not to worry about it and she'd warm up another one and bring it to me. Told her I'd gladly pay for it, but she insisted not. (And of course I have enough of my southern mama in me that I've done the mental calculations and realized I need to go by there and purchase about four more muffins to sort of even things out.) At any rate, the muffins were delicious. Amy had one, too, and we both loved the ginger, which we assume was caramelized ginger thanks to those ooey-gooey chunks of warm caramel. Yum.

I should also point out that though I didn't try them this visit, they have macarons in the display case now, so I must go back very, very soon for some of these as well.


So if you're in the area, and especially if you're local, drop by and tell them you'd like to try a delicious Ginger and Green Tea muffin to make up for the losses they suffered because of your klutzy friend!

11 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! And those macarons look good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, I thought I was reading a Saturday Tea Tale for a minute! Sounds all so yumny! I had Yorkshire tea and Victoria sponge today for teatime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you made me chuckle out loud with the 'fat free yogurt and a banana' thought.... who orders that at a café with such a delicious looking array of muffins?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great - maybe I could meet you Angela someday there! I'd love this place - sounds like a perfect spot to meet a friend! I could picture that perfect lady behind you in my mind - so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tell ya, dear friend - one of these days I am coming down for a visit (maybe come February when I am knee deep sick of snow and ice!!) and go there to check out one of everything. I laughed so loud at "I'm no quitter" that I read it aloud to hubs, who is - as I type this- stuffing his gob with a hefty "second dinner."

    : - ) How he stays skinny, I tell ya!

    Thanks for the giggles. Glad you enjoyed your time with your friend Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That muffin looks and sounds just plain delicious! Wish I was close enough to get one.
    Now I must say you are so lucky to have macarons for 75 cents, I can't even believe it.
    Here in Portland they cost about $2 or more each, thus I don't get them often and then I
    make darn sure I use it in a photo before eating it. Ha! Got to get my money's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee! Better that you dropped the muffin than the hot tea!

    Speaking of cafes, the Canadian McDonald's is offering for a limited time Vanilla Chai Tea Iced Frap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grab those Macarons! Here in upstate New York they sell for $2.50 EACH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great muffin. I agree with the others, buy some Macarons. At the French bakery in the city they are $2something each.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to have a local place that sells French Macarons, and the Ginger and Green Tea muffins sound great too. But best of all is spending time with a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute story, Angela, you had me laughing all the way through! Very funny, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!