Monday, January 5, 2015

"Downton Abbey" tea and scones

So as I'm sitting here writing it's Sunday afternoon and the big day of the "Downton Abbey" premiere! This afternoon I went ahead and made scones from the "Downton Abbey" mix I got for Christmas, and I also sampled the two new "Downton Abbey" teas from Republic of Tea, all from World Market.

The scones were great, and I was thrilled that they came out so pretty! I usually make scones in my Nordic Ware scone pan, and although I've made drop scones before, this may be the first time I actually cut them into rounds. They turned out beautifully, and they tasted light on the inside with a slightly crispy crust on the outside. (The texture was a big hit with His Lordship, by the way.)

On the scones I had some of this "Downton Abbey" Blackcurrant Jam, and I thoroughly enjoyed the flavor. It has a little hint of something that made it more of a sophisticated taste than the fruity blackberry and raspberry jams I usually favor. I also liked that it was a very spreadable jam.

The two new Republic of Tea blends I tried were the Butler's Pantry blend and Mrs. Patmore's Pudding Tea. First, I steeped the Butler's Pantry blend (the one with Carson and Mrs. Hughes on the tin), a black tea "softened with the essence of honey," according to Republic of Tea. The honey scent is prominent, and when steeped, the tea tastes of honey and lemon. ROT says, "This tea embodies both the strong, no-nonsense character of Mr. Carson and the sympathetic sweetness of Mrs. Hughes." I quite agree!

The Mrs. Patmore's Pudding Tea tin features Mrs. Patmore and Daisy, and ROT describes the Mrs. Patmore dessert tea as "vanilla sponge cake drizzled with rich caramel sauce," and I think that captures well the rich, sweet, definitely dessert-like taste of this tea. This is the one I'm planning to sip for dessert as I watch the show tonight. Have I mentioned that I'm a little excited to be viewing it?

21 comments:

  1. The perfect tea and scones for watching Downton Abbey, and very thoughtful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks and sounds wonderful. Happy for you to share. Hope you enjoyed the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scones look delicious, Angela. You've prompted me to place a call to World Market to see if the mix is still available. The closest store to me is in Ann Arbor - a bit of a drive, but I've been wanting to go there for awhile now, so this just might be my incentive. And I thought I had all of Republic of Tea's Downton Abbey blends but your post revealed I'm missing the one dedicated to Carson and Mrs. Hughes, so that means another order to Republic of Teas. They're great for watching Downton Abbey episodes. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE living in the back of beyond, but your posts make me want to drive into Atlanta at least once a week to visit one of your shopping destinations. I, too, just discovered Downton. About a week after the episodes were no longer available streaming! I had no idea there would be so much merchandising with the the series. I am enjoying all of it through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to get to World Market! Inquiring minds want to know -- now that you've had your tea and scones and watched Downton Abbey first episode of the new season -- what did you think?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scones look amazing and I love the DA tins. I loved seeing it again last night. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely need to try the DA scone mix now. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snap, I greatly enjoyed the viewing last night! I was surprised that we learned about Baxter's past so early in the season (figured we'd have to wait on that one a while), and I also enjoyed the back-and-forth with Violet and Isobel (as always). I'm not quite sure I'm buying the new storyline with Lady Mary, so we'll have to see where that goes. Loved seeing little "Marigold" and am curious to see what Edith ends up doing about this. Now I can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scones turned out beautifully! Our World Market sold out of them during Christmas, so I'm hoping they will get some more in. I love Mrs. Patmore's Pudding Tea, but haven't tried Carson's and Mrs. Hughes's one. My newest one is ROT Downton Christmas Tea. When I opened the lid and sniffed, it smelled just like mincemeat. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I ordered the Mrs. Patmore's tea but it hasn't arrived yet...delayed by the holidays I expect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had the greatest accompaniments for Downton Abbey watching! Your scones look like perfection! Wish I was at your house last night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do hope you enjoyed the show. (I expect you did.) Your scones look delicious! I received some of the Downton Abbey Christmas Tea as a gift, and have really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect Downton goodies! I hope Edith gets a bloody break this season. The teacher seems to get some great lines also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a treat! I think I will check out the scone mix the next time I visit World Market.
    Hope you enjoyed the show.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my your scones look so beautiful & delicious too! I enjoyed the show - awaiting my ROP Downton Abbey tea -- but that jam sounds so interesting to me - reminds me of a jam served with scones at a tearoom I frequent. I must check that out for my next order of tea! Thanks! Is World Market online? My next stop........lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. The perfect tea for a DA celebration. I thought last night's episode was good and I'm wondering if Lady Edith will be adopting Marigold somehow which can explain her as the mother to the child.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There must have been at least 5 tea scenes within the first 30 minutes! I wish that the Downton Abbey teas are also available here. A local Meetup group holds a "Dinner and Downton Abbey" at one of our British pubs. It's tough to venture out during these chilly winter nights though and I'd rather watch from the comfort of my couch wearing a thick robe a la Alistair Cookie. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL. I just finished a post and mentioned DA and World Market too.

    (Great minds, yes.) I loved it, could hardly contain my excitement either!

    Hubs and I watched all of season 4 again this weekend past to get all renewed for Sunday's premiere of Season 5! Looks as though it is going to be a wonderful season! (Of course!)

    I love you have all sorts of DA things.

    I need to get a pic of the huge coffee table DA book I bought at that tea house I visited and posted about - and add it to the post. But it is 2am and it isn't going to happen tonight, haha.

    Hugs and sips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marglom, I purchase my teas from PBS,does Britain have the same option? Also you can buy direct from Republic of Teas online!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your scones look beautiful, Angela! I enjoyed the episode (Maggie Smith is so wonderful). Did you have a chance to watch the PBS programs on manners and manors? I thought they were very interesting.

    If "Something Special" does a Downton Tea, I'm in! Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!