Wednesday, September 24, 2014

New teas from Golden Tips in New Delhi, India

One day last week I was upstairs working when I heard the doorbell ring. UPS and the post office often ring the bell when they leave packages on our doorstep, so I didn't think too much of it. Then I heard the sounds of my husband opening the door and, soon, heading upstairs. "You've got a package," he called out. "OK," I said, a bit puzzled since he usually leaves packages downstairs for me to open when I take a break from work. "I think it's either tea or opium," he said, handing over this uniquely wrapped package. Ahh, well then!

I knew immediately what this was, as I was recently contacted by Golden Tips Tea Company in India about whether I was interested in sampling some of their teas. Indeed I was, and of course I was fascinated by the handstitched fabric packaging with protective wax on the corners. Can you imagine going to this much trouble to mail something? I can't!

When I turned the package over, it confirmed that this was what I thought it was!

The box did get a bit smushed on the journey, so I guess the Golden Tips folks have learned what they must do to get a package safely to the U.S.!

Looking inside the box, I was pleasantly surprised to find a lovely variety of tea offerings, including some Darjeelings and other varieties. The first one I decided to try was this Thurbo Moonlight Darjeeling. It had an exceptionally fresh, woodsy scent when I opened the package, so I was eager to taste it.

I love seeing the downy little hairs on the tea leaves, and when I steeped this tea, I got a fine, smooth Darjeeling taste. Is it my imagination that it tastes better because I know it was, according to the package, so recently plucked in India? I don't think so. It truly was a fine, brisk tea, with little astringency after I gave it a full four-minute steeping, which is a long time for me.

Next I tried this CTC Assam Exotic because I liked the name! I've read that CTC stands for "Crush, Tear, Curl" or "Cut, Tear, Curl" (depending on whom you consult), and at any rate it means the tea was processed by machine.

I've seen processed teas with leaf bits the size of instant coffee grounds, but never the size of small peppercorns! I loved the heady, malty scent of the loose tea, and after I steeped it, I realized I had used too much tea. It was very high octane for my taste, so I tried again with a bit less tea and hit the nail on the head. Absolutely delicious, and it made for a fine, brisk cup of afternoon tea. Now I can't wait to try all the other new teas from Golden Tips. If you'd like to check them out for yourself, go here! I think their shipping prices are reasonable, and if you have an order of $49 order or more (you can always go in with a friend), shipping is free!

6 comments:

  1. Both of those sound delicious, and that is unusual packaging for sure! It's finally cool enough that I could enjoy a cup of hot tea this morning - it was in the 40's outside. I do love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated with that packaging! COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had Thurbo teas before and Moonlight would be amazing. Lucky you to get to sample them, yummmm! Love the packaging too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like good teas. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting to receive these samples!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, such special and unique packaging! I love it when tea companies take the extra step to create unique packaging.

    http://countryteas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!