Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Teavivre's Fengqing Wild Tree Yesheng Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake 2013

If you judged it only by the steeped tea leaves, would you ever think this was a puerh tea? I wouldn't!

But indeed, Teavivre's Fengqing Wild Tree Yesheng Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake 2013 is a puerh tea. I've had only ripened puerhs before, not raw ones, so this was definitely a new experience for me.

The tea sample arrives looking just as you'd expect broken bits of a tea cake to look. The dry tea leaf had an almost floral scent, which was very pleasant.

Once steeped, the leaves had an earthy scent that made me very curious to see what this tea would taste like. I was not expecting to see a pale yellow brew from a puerh tea, but indeed that's what I got with this one. The tea had a slight earthy quality to it, but it was somehow smoother, mellower than the other puerhs I've tried. I must say I enjoyed this raw puerh even more than the ripened puerh I'm used to!

5 comments:

  1. As always, you are my #1 go-to tea tasting expert! Thanks for the heads up and new knowledge, Angela!

    It is always appreciated!

    Have a tealightful day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had the chance to try a raw one! The range of pu-erhs is quite remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although my palate for puerh has not yet developed, this tea sounds like one I might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tea cake looks interesting. I don't know if I'm as enamored with it as the other commentators. I'll stick with my celestial tea from a mug.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!