Thursday, May 1, 2014

"Cooking With Flowers" by Miche Bacher

Tea friends are extraordinarily generous about sharing, I have learned. When I commented on how I simply *had* to order a copy of this book after reading about it on my Canadian friend Judith's blog, Lavender Cottage Gardening, she told me to wait, she would pass along her copy when she came to visit Linda in Kentucky, and since I was going to see Linda shortly thereafter, this gorgeous book was there waiting for me. I'm gathering ideas for the bridesmaids' luncheon I'm hosting for a dear friend's daughter this fall, and when I saw the cover of this book I was hooked. I had no idea so very many flowers are edible!

Confession: I fully intended to gather up some of the wild violets in my lawn and try a recipe like these charming Violet Flower Cupcakes. I went out to pick some last week, and to my dismay the violets are all gone! I had not expected they would flower and then disappear so quickly. Next year, I will try to gather them as soon as I see them!

But I need not fear, as daylily season hasn't yet arrived at my house, and I was tickled to learn from this book that all parts of the daylily, "including the early spring leaves, the flower buds and blooms, and even the roots," are edible. At far right you can see a photo of Daylily Curry. Talk about exotic! I know I'm not alone in my love for flowers, so if you're interested in cooking with them as I am, you may wish to check out this book. (Unlike generous Judith, I'm keeping my copy!)

6 comments:

  1. I love to cook with flowers. They make desserts more perfect for teas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that book is going to get a lot of use in your kitchen Angela - enjoy! The cover photo is so pretty and an inspiration to use flowers for baking decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I could be the "middle man" in this transaction! I can see you will enjoy this pretty book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post.

    Judith is such a delight - and always so thoughtful (and organized!)

    Your bridal shower tea is going to be spectacular. Let me know if you need anything at all to borrow or any help, ok?

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll be anxious to see photos of the bridal tea and the flowers you incorporate into the menu and/or tablescape. I know it'll be lovely.
    Yes, indeed, Judith is a very generous tea friend, but so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love adding edible flowers to tea parties and this book sounds delightful. Had to smile about the violets, as I have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!