Monday, April 22, 2013

Let's get organized!

So, why do you suppose I have gathered all these different bits of china?

Pretty to look at, yes, but there's quite a useful purpose for them as well. Can you guess?

They are various shapes and sizes, to suit a number of purposes …

.. and I even pulled in a teacup I crocheted a while back. So can you guess why they were all placed in a shallow drawer in my bathroom?

Cosmetic organizers! I recently saw this simple idea in a decorating magazine and knew I wanted to try it. The article said to line the drawer with that rubbery shelf-liner paper (I got my roll at the grocery store), and indeed it keeps everything in place so the various pieces of china aren't playing bumper cars when I shut the drawer!

This is definitely prettier than the messy jumble of products I used to have rolling around in there. The other advantage is, if I ever need to call these pieces back into service as teawares, they're right there waiting for me, and right where I'll see them every day. Years ago, I watched a Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic TV program in which she mentioned that even when traveling, she brings along little creature comforts like a pretty, fluffy throw or a scented candle. Why? Because, she said, those days are just as important as the other days in your life, and why shouldn't they all be pretty ones? That's how I feel about my new bathroom drawer "organizers," you see!

I'm often asked where I put all the things I collect, so I thought I'd mention that I do indeed use my teawares all over the house. When my mom found this little wicker stand for me at a yard sale, I got my husband to paint it white and placed it in a corner of my bathroom.

A large cup I bought because of the vintage tea ad on the side becomes storage for washcloths.

This small teapot holds extra cotton balls, and behind it I placed a pretty plate my mom gave me.

Finally, this little pedestal plate I received as a Christmas gift is called into service for displaying cute soaps. I hope today's blog post gives you some new ideas for non-traditional uses for your teawares. If you find a new one, please let me know!

21 comments:

  1. Goodness, you are organized. Whe we downsized to the bungalow we're in, we ended up with a tiny main and ensuite bathroom. No windows, no drawers, nothing fancy but I rationalized that one doesn't spend a lot of time in the bathroom anyway. I really miss drawers in a vanity.
    Nice to see you utilizing some china and tea things for storage.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW !!!!! really clever ideas !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! What a clever idea...I especially love your crocheted cup and saucer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely ideas --- very special to have beautiful "tea" items scattered throughout the home in an organized way like you've done.

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chintz is the nicest pencil sharpener holder I have ever seen! :) Now you get to see your pretties every day. Great idea.
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a wonderful idea. I absolutely love it. Thank you so much for sharing. I just finished cleaning my bathroom. I guess I will have go a redo somethings. Again TFS.

    Hugs alot,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angela,

    How nice to open a drawer each morning and be greeted by all of those lovely pieces of china. It looks like a garden in full bloom.
    Thanks for sharing your latest organization project.

    Maybe you and your readers might want to visit the ATAA Traveling Teapot Blog to see some other fun uses for a teapot they may not have thought of.
    http://ataatravelingteapot.blogspot.com/2012/05/blog-post_7545.html

    and

    http://ataatravelingteapot.blogspot.com/2012_05_01_archive.html


    Have you visited the Traveling Teapot Blog lately?

    Have a happy day,
    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely way to organize a drawer. Your wicker shelf display is very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen china pieces used in a drawer for jewelry and your drawer gives me another idea. Your pieces are beautiful. I would not have expected less from your collection. You are the best. Every day when I see your email I am so excited to see what you have written or shown us. Thank you. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the ideas, especially the drawer organizer. What a perfect idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! Makes the drawers so pretty! Thanks for sharing!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful! I am going to my china cabinet right now to find some odd pieces and start organizing. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    Jonelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Angela,

    I have been slowly catching up on reading my favorite blogs. You are just too amazing!

    I love how you used amazing china pieces to organize your bathroom draw. Absolutely fabulous.

    Watch out Martha Stewart!

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this idea. Must try that soon. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea, thank you! I do have a pretty china tray on my bathroom counter to hold necklaces and bracelets, and a stray cup w/out a saucer holds pins, with earrings hung on the sides. But had not thought of the drawer idea. Love your wicker shelf, thank you for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. when I see this , I feel ashamed of my jumbled drawers.. thank you for a great idea!!

    A norwegian Granny

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Angela, such lovely ideas for 'beautiful storage!' You are so creative and many thanks for sharing your great ideas, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  19. A kindred spirit! I do the same thing with teacups, small plates, and other china containers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!