Monday, July 23, 2012

Carson Pirie Scott Women's Club Sandies

Earlier this year, I added to my collection of department store tea room memorabilia by purchasing a postcard showing the Carson Pirie Scott tea room in Chicago and a 1962 cookbook by the Carson Pirie Scott Women's Club. (They are shown here, if you'd like to see them.) Over the weekend, I decided to try the book's recipe for Sandies, and I must say these were easy and delicious, a perfect teatime treat!

The other reason I wanted to make something from the Carson Pirie Scott Women's Club cookbook was that I recently came across an old piece of restaurant china bearing the store's name.

I was so very happy to add this piece to my little collection!

And if you're not into department store and/or tea room history, perhaps you can at least use a new cookie recipe?

I ate mine warm, fresh out of the oven and freshly rolled in powdered sugar. Enjoy slowly, with a nice cup of tea. That's my advice!

13 comments:

  1. No recipe? Looks like a good cookie -- reminds me of Mexican wedding cakes or Swedish tea cakes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the exact same recipe in the photo, Martha. Is it not showing up for some reason? It shows here ... and yes, tastes like those yummy wedding cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice addition to your collection. The sandies look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely hands down my single m ost favored cookie of all time.

    I don't tend to make them as often as I used to, as my husband is allergic to nuts, so I tend to make his favorites.

    Now I think I need to make these just for me and gobble them up (because I surely shall!)

    Thanks, Angela - and good found treasure on finding their china too- you have the neatest collection!

    BTW the recipe is showing up for me on my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These department store memorabilia magically finds its way into your hands! Pretty stylish plate! That recipe reminds me of the Russian Tea Cakes I serve on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm! But I am most impressed at the department store memorabilia you find. I don't ever see anything like that, but then I probably am not looking close enough either. What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is better fresh out of the ovens, made me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazingly simple, ought to try that sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this style cookie...just melt in your mouth! Looks delicious. I make similar cookies and they are called Russian Tea Cakes or Mexican Wedding cookies. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Carson Pirie Scott plate is a great addition to your department store memorabilia collection. I thought of you when I wrote my post on the Peabody Hotel. I read that a "large and imposing" department store was built on the hotel's original site when the Peabody hotel re-built a few blocks away. I tried to research what department store that might have been, but couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Sandie recipe says Peoria- By any chance Peoria, Illinois??? Was curious since I am just south of Peoria, Illinois!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

    Karyl
    Tremont, Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat post today, Angela - I love the black and white china. those cookies look delicious, thanks for the recipe. Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!