Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Numi's new flavored puerh teas

The folks at Numi Organic Tea asked if I'd like to sample some of their new flavored puerhs, and of course I said yes. My observation is that tea drinkers either love or hate the rich, earthy flavor of puerhs, and I happen to fall into the "love" category.

Here's what Numi says about puerhs: "Puerh is an ancient healing tea picked from 500-year-old organic wild tea trees in Yunnan, China. Unlike traditional teas, Puerh undergoes a unique 60-day fermentation process resulting in a bold flavor with hints of malt and an abundance of healthy antioxidants. Puerh can be compressed into bricks and aged, like fine wine, for months, years or even decades. This increases its value, health benefits and premium taste. In addition, studies in China and France show that Puerh can also reduce cholesterol, improve digestion and metabolism, and can aid and support healthy weight loss." The five flavors are Jasmine, Coconut, Cardamom, Ginger and Basil Mint.

I couldn't imagine that jasmine flavor would even register in a puerh tea, but to my amazement it did, and it was great! I enjoy jasmine tea anyway, and it was nice to think I was also getting the benefits from the puerh tea.

The coconut puerh was pretty good, but I didn't get a nice opening whiff of coconut as I'd hoped for. The flavor, however, was spot on, and I enjoyed it very much.

Basil Mint sounded like a most interesting flavor combination in a tea, and I am here to tell you it is divine! The scent and taste of these herbs instantly recalled past visits to an old plantation home's herb shoppe that used to operate here in my town. I really felt like I was *sipping* the aroma of a good old-fashioned herb emporium, and this happy flavor brought back many wonderful memories. I still have two more puerhs I'll sample later on, and I fully expect I'll enjoy the rest of these great new teas from Numi. Readers, do you drink puerhs? Let me know and if so, I'll include some samples of all these teas in this Saturday's giveaway!

6 comments:

  1. Gee, Angela, I just saw some Nume teas in HOme Goods last and I bet they were Pu-er teas. I may have to go back this week and see if they are and perhaps get one. (or I could win some in your giveaway.
    ;o) ) I have never tried pu-ers but am an adventurous sort of woman. I think the basil mint sounds the yummiest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried them, but I will be on the lookout for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela
    I only have one Puerh tea and I like the flavour. Another blogger showed Numi chocolate and I will look for it next.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Jasmine tea, I should try that. Lord knows I need to improve my health too!

    Thank you for sharing, it is appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love this past winter with a ginger pu-er and have tried several different company's that sell it. I have never see pu-er sold this way. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!