Thursday, March 1, 2012

New Japanese teatime treats

A friend recently shared some new teatime treats with me, these two different varieties of Japanese Baked Red Bean Cake.

The cakes are by the Shirakiku brand, and "Shirakiku" is Japanese for "Little Debbie." (OK, I sorta made that up.)

But the soft cakes do remind me of fresh Little Debbie snack cakes, and I was eager to sample them both. The one on the left is the Green Tea flavor, and the one on the right is the Chestnut flavor, which I am told is the more popular cake.

Now I'll try anything once, but I must say I absolutely *loved* both these cakes! The cakes were light and sweet, and the red bean filling was also sweeter than I expected. When eating the filling I could actually taste some big pieces of bean, and I really liked finding this surprise texture inside a sweet treat. The Green Tea flavor contains powdered green tea and I was afraid it might be a little bitter, but the flavor was so subtle, this cake was actually my favorite of the two. If I ever come across these, I will happily buy Baked Red Bean Cakes for myself! Have you ever tried them? I'd love to hear your comments!

9 comments:

  1. How fun, I shall have to look for these at the Asian Grocery Store. I have had red bean cakes from Asian bakeries, but not prepackaged ones. They are tasty. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have quite a few Asian markets in my area - I'll definitely have to look for these, they sounds interesting! Heidi T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would have thought?! I like trying new and interesting things -- I'll have to look for these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like fun! And I enjoyed your comparison to Little Debbies! Although my Japanese penpal sends me special treats from Japan, I've not seen these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you buy these? I'd really like to try them. My husband has actually worked for Little Debbie for the past 25 yrs & when I read that statement I thought - I have NEVER heard that before & I know the company history pretty well. So funny. I'd love to try these since they remind of America's favorite snack cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't tried them, but have tried alot of different things similar to this. Our WuWo Tea Ceremony gathering, someone often brings things like this. Yummmm! So good with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look wonderful! I LOVE red bean paste, and Japanese teatime treats of all kinds. I studied Urusenke for 3 years with my amazing sensei, who was in her
    70's! Happy March, happy teatime:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are just too witty, and I love it! BTW, my dad made me believe Little Debbies were named after me! I was a gullible child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela, these sound delicious, might have to try them. Thanks for the review, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!