Friday, March 9, 2012

Marshall Field Popovers

Last year I bought a mini-popover pan, and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make these delicious treats! I made popovers several times using the famous Neiman-Marcus recipe with strawberry butter, but this week I decided to try another department store's popover recipe, that of Marshall Field.

Again the result was a light, airy and super easy popover, only this time the spread was honey butter. May I just say that a) this makes an awesome breakfast treat and b) if this photo of the popover's melted honey butter doesn't have you drooling, then I haven't done my job. (Unless you don't like butter. Or honey. Or bread. In which case all bets are off!)

One other reason I wanted to make a Marshall Field recipe was so I could share with you the most charming dish I received earlier this year from Darlene of The Tea Enthusiast's Scrapbook. Isn't this a pretty shape and style of dish?

It's even prettier to me knowing that it came from Marshall Field via a tea friend! I thought it was most appropriate, then, to enjoy my little breakfast of popovers using this dish. According to The Marshall Field's Cookbook, "Welcoming guests with a basket of piping hot popovers—sometimes big and fluffy, sometimes bite-size minis—served with whipped honey butter is a long-standing tradition at many Marshall Field's restaurants. Some customers have even been known to sit down, fill up on popovers, order a cup of coffee, and ask for the check!" (We would of course order tea and then ask for the check!) The following recipe is from the cookbook, but I adjusted the directions a bit so I'm sharing the recipe as I made it.

Marshall Field Popovers

5 large eggs
1-2/3 cups whole milk
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and let non-stick popover pan heat in oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare batter. In bowl of electric mixer, add the eggs and beat for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add milk and butter and beat again. Finally, add the flour and salt and beat just until combined.

When pan is finished preheating, fill popover tins about 2/3 full and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Remove popovers from pan and serve immediately with honey butter. Yields about 20 mini-popovers.

16 comments:

  1. MMMMM... Popover for breakfast. With honey butter too. mmmmmm
    Love the dish- such pretty colors, and I love anything Chinese. Isnt' it wonderful to have such caring, generous friends?
    Off to have my breakfast, sadly not a popover, but maybe there is a scone or a lemon poppy seed muffin at the cafe. Enjoy the week end (and your popovers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your popovers look delicious, Angela! I've never made them. Will have to add them to my list of things to make.
    The dish from Marshall Field's is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! This looks divine. When I was a 9th grade home ec student, we made popovers. It was a real moment for me when I saw them come out of the oven. I knew then that baking would be a passion for me.

    I wish I could "pop over" for a cuppa with you and have one of your magnificent creations dripping with that honey butter.

    Your dish is beatiful. A lovely, generous gift.

    Gotta get to the kitchen and look for something to cure my craving.

    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply *love* popovers, and yours look yummy! And, the dish is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angela,

    Your popovers look so......delicious! I'm still trying to get pass the macarons you recently made! You are truly an inspiration to us all.

    Now the question is what can I have for breakfast after seeing your popovers with a honey butter glaze? :)

    Blessings, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! Popovers are such a fun treat! Can't wait to give these a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a simply scrumptious post!! My own "memories" of the Marshall Field tea-room are second hand, for my parents traveled several times on the train from Mississippi to Chicago, when Daddy was going to the "Railroad Hospital" up there during the early Fifties.

    She'd take a break from the hospital now and then, and take a cab to spend a few hours out and about. The store was a source of great mystery and delight to me, as she wrote about it in her letters and later told in great detail about the little sandwiches and the ladies in hats and gloves.

    There's still a pale satin clutch-purse in the clothes-press upstairs, and I've always HOPED that she bought it there.

    Looking forward to delving into your delicious archives,

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so pretty! I could go for a warm popover with honey butter right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How yummy those look, Angela! I am ready for one right now - thanks for the recipe, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the connections in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK. I am clueless.

    What is the difference between a muffin pan and a popover pan?

    I am embarassed having to ask, but I honestly do not know.

    I want to try this, but I just have muffin pans...........?????

    Thanks for recipe, Angela and for my drooling all over the keyboard because I love butter, honey and bread!!! haha!!!!

    The china your tea friend gave you is lovely and your popovers are perfect in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, great recipe! I want it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never eaten popovers, but have wanted to ever since reading Pollyanna's Protegee by Margaret Chalmers. It's set in WWII, and one of the main characters makes popovers. Your dish is beautiful, especially with the stories behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I've ever made popovers - they certainly look delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    The Marshall Field dish is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Popovers always remind me of my mother. They take so little ingredients for something so special. My mother would make them when we didn't have much in the cupboard and needed a treat. Oh so good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!