Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tea Sandwich Saturday #8 - Japanese Potato Salad Sandwiches

So, have any of you ever tried a Japanese Potato Salad Sandwich before? I was definitely intrigued when Lani (see yesterday's post) sent me a copy of this recipe, and I knew I had to try it. Some of the ingredients left me guessing about size and variety, so I thought I'd also tell you specifically what I used to make these tasty little sandwiches and a unique new potato salad!

Japanese Potato Salad (as I made it)

3 medium-sized Idaho potatoes
1/2 cucumber, peeled, sliced and diced
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced and then pieces soaked in water
1/2 carrot, thin sliced and then each round chopped into quarters
2 slices thin-sliced deli ham, chopped fine
2 teaspoons rice vinegar (in the ethnic foods section of the grocery store)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
2 boiled eggs, chopped fine

Boil potatoes until skins start to peel off and potatoes are soft. Remove skins and mash the potatoes. While potatoes are still hot, add the rice vinegar, olive oil and salt. Mix potatoes, mayonnaise, the other vegetables (including drained onions), ham and chopped eggs. Yield: One large bowl of potato salad -- and dozens and dozens of tea sandwiches, I imagine!

As a fan of potato salad I enjoyed both making a new variety of it and trying it as a sandwich spread. Here, I made the filling in the sandwich at left look nice and smooth while the one at right looks a little more raggedy and potato salad-y. I think it would be fun to make the smooth looking sandwich for a tea party and then have guests guess what flavor it is! The only thing I'd change is that I would omit the onion for tea party sandwiches because I think the onion would overpower some of the other flavors being served. That said, I did take Japanese Potato Salad Sandwiches on white bread and wheat bread to work for lunch this week and absolutely loved them! Thanks, Lani, for the sandwich inspiration!

9 comments:

  1. I look forward to your tea sandwich posts of mouth watering photos !
    The lowly sandwich is transformed
    into a dainty work of art! yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was up early waiting for this post. What a delicious combination of ingredient's. Sounds so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe, Angela - looks delicious! Will have to try it, I'm enjoying 'Tea Sandwich Saturdays!'
    Have a great weekend,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting and unique recipe for a typical American afternoon tea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very unusual! I usually don't post on Tea Sandwich Saturday, but your recipe reminded me of something, so I have. I just got a recipe for Panda Bread...would go with your sandwich!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unique! I have never heard of Japanese Potato Salad and would have never thought to put it in a sandwich. Thanks for sharing this surprising sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting to receive a parcel from Lani - friends appear from all parts of the world, don't they?
    I find this recipe for a finger sandwich unique and will definitely be trying it.
    Looking forward to your next posts.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a great recipe to make as a sandwich or a side dish. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so unusual. Thanks for sharing Angela. Am certainly enjoying your sandwich series.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!