Monday, January 10, 2011

Tea with "Sisters on the Fly"

The new issue of Newnan-Coweta Magazine came out on Friday, and inside is one of my all-time favorite features, this one on the local members of that delightful national group "Sisters on the Fly." These women restore vintage campers which they take all over the country before spending some time together shopping, fishing, camping, reading books ... whatever the women happen to be interested in. These are some of the local members, and I couldn't resist sharing some of the photos, especially one that will be of special interest here! (Photos, by the way, are not mine today but appear courtesy of photographer Bob Fraley for Newnan-Coweta Magazine.)


This camper, named "Shabby Foo Foo," belongs to Sharon Robinson, who is a Delta mechanic. I think it's absolutely delightful!


This camper's signage cracks me up! Owner Anita Wallace named her camper "Ida Clair." (And I declare, that's funny!)


This camper, "Hot To Trot," is owned by Sue Edmonson and Nan McGuffey, who are literally "sisters" on the fly.


And the camper feature I most adore, this "tea station" set up by Paula Bush, owner of the camper "Queen Bee." Ohhhhhh, how I do love this!

So, I've already told my husband I want one of these old campers to restore, even if it just stays in the back yard for a while, and I've got my mom on the lookout as well. Can't you just imagine decorating one of these entirely in a tea theme? Oh! My! Goodness! But what will I call mine? Maybe I could borrow the name of a friend's blog and name it Frivoli-tea? Or Traveloci-tea? Any suggestions?

16 comments:

  1. What fun!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with if you get a camper to restore. Looks like a delightful bunch of ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sisters on the Fly" sounds like a really fun group. Thanks for showing us all the wonderful campers. I want to be at your restored vintage camper launch parTea, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOH ,I want one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This past September I went camping in one of those tiny campers. While staying inside, my brain was busy with a "RE-DO". It would be great fun to have one, but I don't think "Daisy" wants to leave western Colorado!

    I like your name-Traveloci-tea. You could come out west for a visit to my plains in eastern CO. ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Belinda -- I want one, too! All the campers need are handles and they would look like big cups of tea. How about McRae's Cozy Cup? B-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such neat campers and I enjoyed this issue tremendously.
    So creative and such fun! Your magazine has been so popular at the bookstore: everyone just loves it! I also mention your blog site and there is a great interest in that too. Way to go, Angela!
    Have a great week, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun group! With your Mom on the lookout, I'm sure she will find a camper for a very good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I have the book on my Wish List on Amazon and so been wanting a trailer and to be one of the "Sisters on the Fly". How I do wish I could have been there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela, thank you for your kind comments about Sisters on the fly and my little "Queen Bee"...I love the name "Traveloci-tea!!! Come go with us!
    xxx
    Paula Sister #870
    www.thevilulateagarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the name Travelocitea too!

    Thank you for sharing this story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I could just move in! What a wonderful quiet place to enjoy afternoon tea and a book! Oh the solitude!

    Great post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read about some girls in Texas (?) that were in a similar group and since then I have been looking for one of these old campers! We saw one in Savannah but sadly it wasn't for sale and it wasn't dark enough outside... and me, with no trailer hitch... LOL! I would love, love, love to find one and restore it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun! I'm in negotiations for a '70s model FAN, totally self-contained 16' camper. Primarily, it'll be my craft cottage/ guest house--since we live in a big, quad slide 5th wheel camper. So many ideas for the remodel....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am loving your vintage camper photos. I have a newish trailer but love using vintage goodies for decor.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!