Saturday, January 1, 2011

Tea Sandwich Saturday #1 - Shrimp Crescents

Happy New Year! A new year means it's time for a new tea-related project, and this year I'm going to be broadening my horizons as far as the humble tea sandwich is concerned. You see, if you've been to tea at my house in, oh, the past 10 years or so, you've probably had some combination of these: Waldorf Chicken Salad on mini-croissants, cucumber sandwiches on white bread, Egg-Olive Salad on wheat bread, and perhaps another cream cheese concoction. In other words, I've gotten boring! One day a friend at work commented on how much she loves tea foods and wishes she could get them at the drive-through because then she'd have tea foods all the time. That comment was an epiphany for me. What's keeping me from enjoying tea foods as often as I have fast food? This year, I aim to spend these Saturday posts trying 52 new tea sandwiches, and at the end of the year I'll have a great new repertoire of tea sandwiches to rely on!



Today's recipe is based on one I saw in Emilie Barnes' "Twelve Teas of Christmas" book. I could happily eat shrimp three times a day, and this recipe was super easy to make and so very tasty. I almost used dried onion instead of taking time to chop the 1-1/2 teaspoons of onion in this recipe, but I'm glad I went with all fresh ingredients. Also, I substituted "reduced fat" versions of the cream cheese and crescent rolls (why not?) and was pleased with the results.

So here is my "tweaked" recipe for Tea Sandwich Saturday #1, and I hope you'll join me as I experiment with new tea sandwiches this year!

Shrimp Crescents

3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup finely chopped cooked shrimp (about 1/2 pound)
1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
1-1/2 teaspoons onion, finely chopped
1 package (8-count) reduced-fat crescent rolls

Bake crescent rolls according to package directions. While the rolls bake, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard and blend well. Add shrimp, celery and onion and combine. When rolls are done, slice and fill with spread.

14 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to this series as sandwiches seem to be the hardest part of the menu for me.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy! What a fun series this will be and you are starting off with a winner!!! Yummy........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea. The tea sandwiches are my favorite part of afternoon tea (next to scones, of course). I'll look forward to seeing all these new recipes.

    Your first choice looks yummy. I think I have that Emilie Barnes book - I'm off to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 2011 Angela. Just love your blog and I look forward to reading your series. I agree about the sandwiches. I had an epiphany this past year when my family complained I only made scones for tea parties. Then it hit me....why? So now I bake up a new batch every week and freeze them. We slowly enjoy them for breakfast with our tea in the a.m. Plus now I always have some ready (in a few) for whoever stops by to offer them with their tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be a fun series!! Will look forward to Saturdays!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh honey, this is going to be such a treat ~ literally! I lurve the idea! And this first one is yummy as I lurve shrimp too!
    Blessings,
    Janeen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, I like, like, like this new series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new series. I'm with you, I could eat shrimp 3 meals a day. I will be making this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea for a series! I'll be checking in on you for sure. :) Hope you have a blessed and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful plan for the year. I'm going to read my tea books more carefully, starting with the one you used for this recipe. It was one I ordered from Paper Back Swap! ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to love this series. Tea sandwiches are always my favorite. Hadn't thought of using crescent rolls, but a very good idea. I sometimes put shrimp salad on an endive leaf for tea, for those that don't eat bread. I think your shrimp salad would work well that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, Angela - I'll be checking in with you! This recipe sounds delicious, I love shrimp too! I love your posts, Happy New Year to you & yours, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got so much out of your book a week series. Can't wait to try some sandwich recipes. This one looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. am looking forward to this series as sandwiches seem to be the hardest part of the menu for me.
    I like, like, like this new series!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!