Monday, August 16, 2010

A different kind of floral teapot

Back in the spring I picked some flowers for future crafting, and for months now I have been drying the petals between the pages of a book. This weekend, I decided it was time to try my hand at the craft I had in mind, and this was the result. I'm not sure what I'll do with it (scan the design for notecards, maybe?), but I'm pretty happy with my inaugural effort!

It seemed like I spent hours separating and pressing those violet buds and other pieces and petals back in the spring. Naturally, I realize now I should have collected about 10 times as many pieces if I truly wanted to have a good supply of "materials" to work with. Next year!

My teapot was traced in pencil on a 5 x 7 inch blank canvas, and then I lightly outlined the teapot with the edge of a glue stick before arranging the pink petals. The other pieces I arranged and glued individually. So far everything still seems to be adhering pretty well. I'll eventually need to frame this under glass so the petals don't crumple and blow away. Any pressed flower crafters out there? I'm always open to instruction!

14 comments:

  1. That is a charming floral picture. how inventive of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! When scanned, this would make a lovely note card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your floral teapot is very pretty. I like your notecard idea - don't forget to sign & date your work before you scan it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela,

    Your picture is just so pretty. Your teapot design is very charming.

    I used the following instructions to preserve a small picture I made from flowers from my garden. This method helps seal out air and moisture and your creative efforts will last longer.

    http://tiny.cc/n18ju

    I have also laminated several small floral designs and use them for bookmarks. Have fun creating!

    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I've done a bit of work with pressed flowers and leaves. They are soooo fragile! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so pretty. Very creative of you, Angela. Thanks for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Turkey has got a lot of kinds about tea. ıf you want, you can try it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. When I walk through public gardens I often pinch just one small flower or leaf and tuck it in my notebook in my purse. A fun memory as I leaf (LOL) through my notebook later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is quite pretty--nice use of your dried flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Angela! I think notecards would be perfect for this project :o)
    Hope you're well! I was thinking about you when I was at the Crown & Crumpet recently, wondering if you'd like the place. I posted a blog about it, you'll have to pop over and take a look when you have a sec.
    oxo~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angela, your pressed flower picture is beautiful! I've pressed flowers before but never knew what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice floral teapot gifts. I really like it and now I have to buy One teapot for myself. Thanks for sharing.
    Send Flowers Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should be working but I am exploring your archives...love this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!