Thursday, August 6, 2009

A teacup pretty enough to eat!


One of the smartest things I've done all year is give my cake-baker friend Susan a subscription to a cake decorating magazine for her birthday. Why? Because she has been kind enough to share the first two issues with me, and while I had to give them back (it was, after all, a gift!), I have a whole new type of cooking/crafting to which I now aspire. "Sugarart" happens to be featured in the August/September issue of American Cake Decorating magazine, and Susan knew I would want to see this amazingly lifelike teacup and saucer how-to article and someday try my hand at this myself! Can you believe this teacup is made of something called Mexican paste, which is mainly confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, water and shortening?

If you go here, you can read about the designer of the teacup, Kim Morrison, and see her other completely fabulous work! (Do NOT miss that Tea Table Cake with sugar teacup and napkin! Incredible!)

This is the cover of the new issue of the magazine, and I think this cake is beautiful as well. I am simply amazed at how cake decorating has become such an art form in its own right. But you can bet I will try my hand at making a "sugarart" teacup and saucer one day. I love it!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Absolutely phenomenal! She teaches classes twice a year... I live several hours away... might be nice for a get-away. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, making sugared fruit at Christmas is child's play compared to this. That sugar tea table is exquisite.

    Wouldn't you like to see the wedding that this teacup cake was designed for? Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, it is pretty, but I don't think I would have the patience to make the teacup, saucer, or cake. Fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! Thanks for sharing.

    Angela, have you seen cakes in the shape of a teapot? They look pretty easy to make. I have directions saved to make "one day".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!